I have mentioned it before in some blog posts that I’m out looking for a job. In my job searching process, there is a couple of nice tools that I am missing. Maybe if I describe one of them, someone will say that it already exists over there -> or something.
Tool 1. Tracking of data related to a job application.
For each such application I send I have a set of data, some pieces only for some applications:
- Contact data for company
- The open position I’m applying for on the web
- The web form I submitted a application thru
- The email I used to submit my application
- Further emailing with the company
- Further chat logs (jabber or irc) with the company
- My jotting down during or after a (phone) interview
- Other data I’ve gathered about the company
I would like one simple way of browsing all this information for a given position.
Does this exist? preferably something that can interact with Konqueror, KMail, KAddressbook, KJots, Kopete and irssi on a remote machine.
Tool 2: Tracking of tasks with states
There is – at least – the following steps in a job searching process:
- Interesting company found
- Initial contact
- More information sent
- Phone interview
- First interview
- Second interview
- First draft contract
- Signed contract
A job application might go thru some or all of these steps or even more steps, and from each step it can end prematurely with a ‘rejection’.
Here, I’m missing a tool to track my applications and in which state they are currently in. My first thought here is a bug tracking system, but I’m wondering if there is something nicer. Currently I’m tracking it manually in a KJots notebook.
Comments are open. And no, I haven’t yet found a job.